Friday, July 13, 2012

Empowerment

I've had five days of perfect weather in the white national forest and I couldn't ask for anything more :) The climbs were definitely tough and my body is feeling the wear and tear from the ups and downs on the mainly rocks and roots. But the beauty made up for it and I'm definitely excited for the next 300 miles.

The white national forest is home to Mt. Washington, the highest peak in New England with a reputation for having the world's worst weather as it stands at the meeting point of the northeast, Midwest and southeast weather currents. Luckily for me, I had blue skies and a warm sunny day when I summited. I left the mountain with a bit of wind burn and an enormous feeling of empowerment. With less than 300 miles to go before I finish my hike, I've been feeling quite overwhelmed with emotions of joy, awe, amazement, pride and accomplishment. Since 2009, this hike has not been easy by any means. It has challenged me emotionally, physically, and mentally but it has also given me so much at the same time. A renewed sense of trust in life and humanity; and the understanding that if I put my mind, body and soul into something, I can achieve anything in this life of mine. I think this is the most powerful gift I've received on this trail and it leaves me driven to pursue the dreams I have within me.

It's been an amazing journey. I am about 15 miles away from the new hampshire-maine border. As I cross into Maine, I'll be entering an even more rugged and remote terrain. I feel confident going in as I've gained so much skill and knowledge into what it takes to be a mountain woman-to be a Gaucha :)

Some photos from the whites-enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. One of my roommates was talking about hiking the Appalachian Trail and I immediately thought of you! It looks like you're almost finished with it!! Hope you're having lots of fun :)

    ReplyDelete